Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Would you like some chicken pox?

Collecting honey
Would you like some chicken pox?

A friend of mine sent me message, 'Having chicken pox at the moment. Would you like some for your girl?' I admit, it sounded ridiculous, but I politely replied, 'No, thank you, we are doing just fine without it.' A few weeks later chicken pox hit us anyway. It was only then that I understood that my friend had good intentions at heart. As I discovered,  it's much beneficial for a child to get it in the childhood, rather than later in life when the potential side effects could be morbidly serious for the organism.

I was truly scared of my girl having chicken pox and the days of unbearable itchiness, and the nights of little or no sleep, but I shouldn't have at all!! We had only one sleepless night, and only itchy day, after which we were itch-free again! All to the natural home remedies which I used to zap the chicken pox virus withing literally 2-3 days. Does it sound impossible? Well! That's what I thought at first too.

To begin with, it's important to keep the child occupied as it will keep their mind off the unpleasantness of the itch. It meant over-indulgence in what my child really liked doing for a day or two to keep them as blissfully happy as possible. In a nutshell, we had lots of Peppa Pigs!

Bentonite Clay

So here are a few simple natural effective home remedies to get rid of chicken pox quickly and efficiently:

1) Oatmeal Bath
Boil two cups of oatmeal in a pot and then put it in a cotton/linen bag and tie it up.  (I used a man-size handkerchief). Soak the bag in the bathtub with lukewarm water and swirl it around so that the water can take the elements from the oatmeal. Make sure to soak the entire body in the bathtub for at least 10 minutes. This will help relieve itchiness and speed up recovery. I bathed my child 2-3 times a day during the critical period.

2) Honey
Use natural honey to treat the spots. Make sure the honey is of best quality, preferably organic and from a good source. Yeah, it's sticky and not necessarily pleasant. I applied tiny little cotton tissue squares on the spots after applying honey to prevent the clothes from sticking to the body.

3) Bentonite Clay
Apply food/cosmetic grade clay mixed with water on the spots. It will dry them up very quickly and will help prevent scar formation.

4) Apple Cider Vinegar
Add some vinegar to the bath.

5) GAIA Baby Organic Skin Soothing Lotion (Australian product)
I used this lotion on the my girl's skin after the worst was over. It contains Wheat Germ Oil,Chamomile, Lavender, Calendula, Zinc, Castor Oil and Beeswax. It's a great soothing lotion for any skin irritation available from health stores and online sellers.

GAIA products

No comments:

Post a Comment